Monday, April 19, 2010

TLC - My Top 25 Favorite Movies!


More stuff from my deviantArt coming to this blog!
I promise you, new content coming up soon~

Here is a list of my favorite movies.
I won't call it the "best movies ever made", there's no such thing.
Everyone's got his own tastes, so this represent the kind of stuff I like!~

My favorite movies happen to be those from the 80s mostly.
To be honest... I don't really like many mainstream movies nowadays...
The writers are pretty bad these days, all they can write are tired sequels, remakes, (comics, games, books and foreign cinema) adaptations... Where's the originality?
Where are today's modern Ghostbusters/Ferris Bueller/Back to the future (I mean, not remakes, but in the sense of good ORIGINAL IDEAS of today??).

Morality, I'm not a huge fan of 2000s movies... Call it post-9/11 dramatization. Movies, TV shows, everything's gone so much darker and more realistic now.
I prefer some fun and imaginative stories to take my mind away from the every day stuff.
Sure some movies may be OK and even great every few of them, but they are so far in-between!
I like the Dark Knight, Clerks 2, the Friday the 13th remake or National Treasure... But I wouldn't take these over my TOP FAVORITES movies below ;)

Edit2013/02/15: I updated this review finally.
I replaced that old huge jpg picture with normal text like all of my current reviews.

TLC #01: My Top 25 Favorite Movies!

Let's try something new!
My very first "Top list countdown"!
I really wanted to go talk  about all my favorites movies here on the blog.
So I went through all the ones I loved in every genre I tend to watch:
My favorite horror flick, my favorite slasher, my favorite sci-fi film, action, adventure, comedies, etc., you name it!


I originally intended to make a list of my Top 10 classics or even Top 5... but it got so complicated to narrow it down like that...
I didn't want to leave out a movie that deserved to be mentioned here in my list!
So without further ado, here goes: My Top 25 Greatest Movies of All Time!

PS: keep in mind this my own personal list according to my own tastes. 
I don't claim this to be about the "Greatest Movies Ever Made", there's no such thing.
To each their own!
These are movies I will always enjoy watching everytime, that I love to catch on every few years,  my essentials must-see!

#25 Desperado (1995) by Robert Rodriguez


A great violent action flick with humor!
The best example of a pulp action movie. People always seem to prefer Tarantino over Rodriguez...
Myself? I prefer Rodriguez' own "pulp western" genre!

#24 Rocky (1976) by John G. Avildsen


The legendary underdog story of a boxer turned champion!
Love the saga, but my favorite will always be the original!

#23 Tron (1982) by Steven Lisberger


One of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time!
Never gets old! I don't know what to think about that "Tron legacy" follow-up yet (as I write those lines)....

#22 Beetlejuice (1988) by Tim Burton


Okay, I'll admit it right away... I'm personally not a big fan of Tim Burton.
If you know Kevin Smith's opinion of the man, you'll understand!
But Beetlejuice will always be one of my favorite movies. I saw it so many times...
Love the plot, love Michael Keaton in it, always love Winona Ryder and I specially love the universe of the bio-exorcist!

#21 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) by Steven Spielberg


This episode will always be my favorite Indy movie!
Come on!
It's pretty different from the others and at the same pretty much in the same line!
The action scenes are still so imaginative and unique to this day!

#20 For a Few Dollars More (1965) by Sergio Leone


Okay, my 20th favorite movie of all time is a western by Sergio Leone.
And specially, the darker, edgier, better-scored 2nd "dollar movie".

#19 Nothing (2003) by Vincenzo Natali


A truly amazing fascinating Canadian movie by the director of Cube, Splice and Elevated!
Surprising!
'love it!

#18 Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) by Jack Arnold


Best American monster movie ever.
Period.

#17 Ame agaru/After the Rain (1999) by Takashi Koizumi


I used to love Samurai films so much...
I had to put a chanbara movie in this list, because I just love the genre!
This one's my favorite over any overrated more popular ones, because of its great mood and atmosphere.

#16 Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995) by Shusuke Kaneko


Best Japanese monster movie ever.
I love kaijus.

#15 Tommy Boy (1995) by Peter Segal


Chris Farley was the not only the BEST SNL comedian but also the one to make the best transition to film in my opinion.
He died way too soon, but at least he had time to give us great comedies like this one and the Beverly Hills Ninja!

#14 Day of the Dead (1985) by George A. Romero


If I only had to pick one zombie flick, and believe me the choice was pretty difficult to narrow down, it would be Romero's 3rd "of the Dead" movie.
Amazing zombie movie about human communication and trust. And the chaos we bring on
ourselves...

#13 Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) by Tom McLoughlin


I love slasher films.
They're pretty basic, but also plenty fun. Simple, they don't try to be something else, like an artistic piece. But they're also able to be quite inventive with tiny budgets.
Plus slasher monsters kick ass!
My favorite will always be the 6th Jason. 'starts right away, and combine everything we love about these films.

#12 Wayne's World 2 (1993) by Stephen Surjik


A classic, even better than the first one.
Mike Myers at his best.

#11 The Terminator (1984) by James Cameron


My favorite Cameron movie is actually his very first one.
The 2nd terminator is probably the world's more badass movie ever made, but the 1st movie was more brutal, violent, felt more real to me as a kid.
It actually was more of an horror flick.

#10 Mais qui a tué Pamela Rose? (2002) by Eric Lartigau


My tenth favorite movie is French!
I never said this was strictly be a list of American movies.
The only French movie that I actually truly love, watch regularly and enjoy it more everytime!
It's a parody of thriller stories and more specifically Twin Peaks.
Filmed to look like it was actually done in the USA! Impressive work!

#09 Spaceballs (1987) by Mel Brooks


My favorite science fiction film is a parody!
Mel Brooks' classic surpasses any Star Wars or Star Trek movie in my eyes!

#08 The Big Lebowski (1998) by Coen brothers


My favorite Coen movie.
Such an original film!

#07 Die Hard (1988) by John McTiernan


That's right! My favorite action flick is the very first Die Hard!
Yippee ki-yay, motherfucker!

#06 Clerks (1994) by Kevin Smith


One of my favorite movies of the nineties, a classic mixbag of our pop culture.
Kevin Smith is a great director and storyteller who did lots of films I really love.
And his first movie will always be a favorite of mine.

#05 Army of Darkness (1993) by Sam Raimi


My 5th favorite movie is without a doubt THE greatest b-movie ever made.
This masterpiece came close with Evil Dead 2, a tough choice.
But AoD is so original, not just an horror movie, but also a comedy and an adventure story...
Bruce Campbell at his finest!

#04 Groundhog Day (1993) by Harold Ramis


I adore this one.
I never get tired of re-watching Phil replaying through his awful day over and over and over and over and...

#03 Ghostbusters (1984) and Ghostbusters II (1989) by Ivan Reitman


Kinda cheating here...
I know some people may not like the second one as much, but I love those two films just the same.
I watch them both at least once per year, the effects were amazing and still hold quite well to this day.
I'm still fascinated as much by the proton packs, the Ecto-1 and everything else in both these movies.
"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

#02 Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) by John Hughes


Hands down to my favorite movie. (well, technically the 2nd favorite).
A perfect little coming-of-age story, it's not just a comedy. It's a movie about my favorite era, the eighties (and early 90s for that matter).
It's a movie about growing up, times changing, responsibilities and having fun, enjoying your life with your friends.
Ferris Bueller is sort of a modern "Peter Pan", the film kinda spawned narrated comedies like Parker Lewis, Malcom in the middle and Scrubs if you think about it.
It's the dawn of an era reflected on the beginning of another...
Plus it's hilarious!

And finally my number one...

#01 The Back to the Future Trilogy (1985-89-90) by Robert Zemeckis


Imagine the theme song--- OK.
Now you' got it, my favorite movie is in fact three movies that I can't imagine apart anymore...
Marty and Doc's adventures will always be what influenced me the most..
The storyline, the music, the dialogues, the plot, the characters...
It is perfect.
What every movie should aim for.
It's funny, it tells you something more than you think it does, it's epic and has a perfect well crafted ending that has the story come full circle.
I truly hope Hollywood will never get around to ruin it like they did with so many franchises, with a stupid remake or forced follow-up....


And that is it!
My work here's done!
I hope you liked to have a look at my picks and what made me make these choices, what defines my tastes in movies and what will always be part of my very own pop culture mix!
You can expect to find several of these if not all at some point reviewed on this very blog here.

Eyz out!

Artwork © Eyz. Other materials © Respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment